Sunday, June 22, 2008

Alot happens in a week

It´s been about a week since we last posted. In some of these out of the way places you can´t easy get an internet connection. Now I´m working on a very slow system at an internet cafe. I can´t post any pictures because I don´t have my laptop right now, and the system would take forever anyway.

I´m going to give some highlights, but I don´t want to be too detailed. I´m worried the system will disconnect before I get a chance to send my file.

The tour started on Monday, when we found out that Jenifer´s parents did not make it to the country. They were diverted back to Miami because the fog was too thick in San Jose. They joined the group halfway through the day, after we had already completed a great tour of a coffee plantation and coffee processing and roasting facility. We got to munch on chocolate covered coffee beans.

We had a rest stop on the way to our lodge where we were able to see dozens and dozens of hummingbirds of all different varieties. We also spotted a coati. Look it up.

The eco lodge was located on the Pacific side of the Continental Divide right by the Lagoon of Arenal. You might be able to find it on Google Earth. In the midst of the tropical forest, it was a lush environment and a haven for bird watchers. From toucans to parrots to tanagers and herons, we were amazed at the variety.

Costa Rica is incredible in its commitment to the environment. It runs on a combination of hydro, wind and thermal energy. The county is dominated by its volcanos which makes geothermal power quite attractive. They have great policies to protect the environment, and a great deal of consciousness regarding the environment among the people.

We´ve done many fun things, including kayaking, river rafting, nature hikes and other guided activities. We spent one day visiting a school that the travel company supports. There we met students and teachers, watched the children perform traditional dances, and then went home with various families for lunch. Since the family we went with could not speak any English, I spent the entire lunch translating from Spanish to English and English to Spanish. Everyone finished their lunches way before I did.

Right now we are in the area of the country known as the cloud forest. We are staying at a lodge near the Monteverde nature preserve. This community was started by a group of Quakers who relocated here from the US in the late 1950´s. They were opposed to service in the military, and did not want their childrens subjected to the draft. It is an incredible area of the county, and so much has been done to promote sustainable tourism. The road are very difficult to travel, which helps to limit the amount of traffic and development here.

We´ve had a great time observing the incredible natural resources here. We had a tour through the Monteverde preserve. It was rainy the entire time, as this is both the rainy season and the cloud forest. We were on the lookout for the famous Quetzal bird, but have not yet seen one. We saw other animals today during a canopy tour on hanging bridges in the forest. We saw an agouti and a grey fox.

Tomorrow we will be heading to a new area...but I don´t remember off hand where it is. We´ll fill you in as soon as we have a good internet connection. No telling when that might be.

Until then, we hope you are having as good a summer as we are.

Bob

No comments: